Health Bar Recipe - Homemade natural protein bar

Why homemade protein health bars:
  • I get my chocolate fix without the calories of commercial chocolate candy bars; I feed my sweet tooth without very sugary snacks; I can add exactly what my body needs. For instance, when I want more bowel movements, I use prunes as a dry fruit.

What you need to make protein health bars:
  • Dry ingredients: 
    • 2 cups Oatmeal
    • 1 cup Protein powder
    • 2 choices of finely chopped dried fruit (¼ cup of any option: grated coconut, pitted prunes, pawpaw, cranberries)
    • 1 to 2 choices of crushed nuts / seeds (1/4 cup of any option: hazel nuts, brazil nut, almonds, pumpkin seeds)
    • Unsweetened dark cocoa powder / ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
    • spices (1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg)
  • Wet ingredients:
    • ½ cup salt free organic Nut butter (Peanut, Hazelnut, etc). If possible, avoid butters with lots of added sugar
    • ¼ cup Water / Almond milk / Soy milk
    • ¼ cup honey / agave (as a vegan alternative to honey) OR 1/8 cup honey and 1/8 cup blackstrap molasses
    • (¼ cup unsweetened Apple sauce)
    • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • Wax paper

Instructions for making protein health bars at home
  1. In a bowl, mix dry ingredients
  2. In a second bowl, mix wet ingredients
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture while mixing and kneading
  4. Place the wax paper onto a firm, flat surface
  5. Compactly flatten the mass onto wax paper
  6. Divide the mass into separate health bars with a sharp knife
  7. Place into the refrigerator to harden for 20 minutes
  8. Stack the bars into a storage container and refrigerate

My experience with my homemade health bars
  • Yummy! I have tried this recipe with the different options above. Sometimes, that even involved not using protein powder. In that case, I did not add the water/milk option. The bars were still great.
    Take Control! Click HERE to subscribe to our YouTube channel (Naturopathic Control) 


  • On the last 2 occasions, I was curious about using molasses. Molasses is often used by diabetics or anyone concerned about their blood sugar because it is a low glycemic index sweetener. I was pleasantly surprised at how FANTASTIC the health bars tasted with molasses. Although, it is rich and sweet, it does not have a very sugary sweet taste. I was hooked by the rich taste it gave when combined with the bitterness of dark chocolate powder. Mama mia! The blackstrap molasses was an unplanned addition. I had actually gotten molasses way too early for a master cleanse diet. After becoming so restless from seeing it un-used on my kitchen counter, I started using it as an organic fertilizer for my fruiting plants and then for health bars. I can not imagine how I had lived so long without blackstrap molasses in my kitchen!
CONTENT RELATED TO HEALTH BARS

No comments:

Post a Comment