Ingredients for making a Vegan Substitute for Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Green Bananas, Sweet Potatoes or Breadfruits:Potato Substitute (Choose one or more):
- Green Bananas (approx 2 to 3 per person)
The bananas must be firm and un-ripened since, unlike ripe bananas, green bananas have a low glycemic index (GI) of as low as 30. Cooking with green bananas offers several health benefits. Green bananas are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. In fact, since this fibre slows digestion and makes you feel full longer, it is also useful for weight control.
Green bananas may help to reduce the risk of diabetes because of a special kind of starch called 'resistant starch' that aids in blood sugar control. Furthermore, green bananas may also prevent heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol levels. Their vitamin B6 content may also promote enzyme activity if poor digestion is a health concern. Green bananas (and sweet potatoes, another potato substitute for this recipe) are even a good source for potassium. However, since potassium can aggravate kidney problems, seek your doctor's advice beforehand if you have such health concerns. Green bananas are gluten-free.
Like green bananas, breadfruits are rich in fiber, it lowers bad cholesterol levels and elevates good cholesterol levels and therefore helps to prevent heart disease and diabetes. Also great for bone health, regulating metabolism, healthy skin and hair growth given high volumes of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Breadfruit also contains riboflavin, niacin, iron, thiamin, phosphorus and vitamin C (the last of which controls stress levels, promotes the skin's youthful elasticity among other things). Furthermore, breadfruits are gluten-free.
- Sweet Potatoes
Like green bananas, sweet potatoes are helpful for preventing heart disease and make this a gluten-free recipe (if the milk substitute is also gluten-free). Like breadfruits, they also are rich in vitamin C. However, some additional health benefits of sweet potatoes are that they contain vitamin D (a natural energy and mood enhancer), magnesium (a kind of relaxation / anti-stress remedy) and iron (for naturally boosting immunity and also relieving stress).
- Coconut Milk
Coconut milk very nutritious. For instance, it contains vitamins C, B1, B3, B5, B6, E, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, selenium and a little calcium (less than dairy milk).
Take Control! Click HERE to subscribe to our YouTube channel
- Other Milks: Almond Milk; Soy Milk;
- Barley Powder
Barley powder is highly digestible, high in fiber and lowers blood cholesterol. It is also rich in various vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids. However, it is NOT gluten-free and should be avoided if you suffer from any form of gluten sensitivity like celiac disease.
. .. .
- Sea Salt
- Italian Seasoning
- Tumeric Powder (optional)
Instructions for making a Vegan Substitute for Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Green Bananas, Sweet Potatoes or Breadfruits
- Prepare and or set aside the milk(s). If your milk is in powder form, add just enough water to make a very thick paste. (In the case of barley powder, you may add an oil like olive or coconut oil if you wish a creamier consistency. Just add enough to create a very thin layer on top of the paste. Do not worry if the oil does not mix with the lower based-paste).
- Boil the potato substitute (green bananas, sweet potatoes or breadfruit) in as little water as you can to get it very soft.
- Do NOT throw away the water used for boiling the potato substitute (green bananas, sweet potatoes or breadfruit). This water contains nutrients and will help to dilute the thick milk.
- Using the boiling water and milk, mash the green bananas, sweet potatoes or breadfruit to make as smooth a consistency as possible.
- Using a low heat, lightly saute garlic and any other flavo(u)rful herbs in natural vegetable oil in a separate pan.
- Stir in the mashed green bananas, sweet potatoes or breadfruit to the infused oil to get rid of any excess moisture
- Add any other ingredients that do not require much cooking like garlic, tumeric powder, onions and so on. As an option, add and stir in these remaining ingredients immediately after turning off the heat.
Topics Related to making a Vegan Substitute for Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Green Bananas, Sweet Potatoes or Breadfruits or other healthy recipes: