Thanks to nature, we have struck the weight loss jackpot with a natural and healthy snack. It is extremely low calorie (33 calories per crunchy cup) and full of health giving properties.
Apart from helping to burn calories, this natural weight loss snack is especially beneficial for pregnant women and those suffering from obesity, diabetes and other blood sugar related problems, atherosclerosis and other cholesterol related diseases, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, lung inflammation, soar throat, ulcers and stiff joints. It may also reduce the risk of getting constipation, colon cancer and cataracts. Furthermore, it is useful after antibiotic treatments since it facilitates probiotic development for a healthy gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts:
- 33 Calories
- NO Saturated Fats
- NO Cholesterol
- Folic Acid (which is excellent for pregnant women since it is essential for neural tube formation of the fetus within the 4th and 12th weeks of the gestation period)
- Vitamins A, B6, C
- Dietary Fiber
- Amino Acids (tryptophan, cystine and other sulfur amino acids)
You will need:
Enough fresh okras to make 1 cup when sliced. Okras are also called gumbo and lady fingers.
- Wash the okras thoroughly
- Test the freshness of the okras (by bending each tip to a side. Those that snap are fresh. Those that bend all the way until they touch the side of the okra should be discarded).
- Only just before eating them, cut off the stalk end (to preserve the nutrients and energy)
- Slice thinly into round, star shaped disks that are crunchy
- If you wish to cook the okras, steam the okras for as short a period as possible (like 5 minutes)
- Avoid contact between the okras and these following materials (so as to prevent discoloration of the okras): copper, brass, iron, or tin. (Tip: You may therefore use stainless steel, porcelain, agate, earthenware and glass utensils).
- Non toxic
- Non habit forming
- No adverse side effects
- Very alkaline. Alkaline reaction
Observations (Miss C):
The texture is most people's concern. So I will talk about that.
As a child, I would have preferred punishment over okras. The reason for my strong dislike was that okras in my household were often overcooked which made them extremely slimy. However, when raw (or slightly cooked), the sliminess is hardly detectable. The snack is simply crunchy and without any strong taste (like popcorn or lettuce). Besides, any sliminess seems to be a small cost that is hugely outweighed by the many health benefits.
So set up the movie and bring out the OKRAS!
Other natural, healthy and effective ways to lose weight:
- 10 Things you should know about weight loss. Weight loss can be easy, safe and effective for anyone.