Things you need to make a smudge stick
- Cotton String (NOT synthetic string)
- Fresh or Dried Herbs (as below). Herbs that can be found very easily in tropical locations are in bold print.
Instructions: How to make a smudge stick
- Line the herbs up so that the bottom stems are in the same place as a handler
- Tie the based with a knot before wrapping the string up and back down again
- If you use fresh herbs, wrap the string a little tighter since the herbs lose volume after being dried
- If you used fresh herbs, allow to dry for one month inside of a paper bag
- You may trim edges
- You may add some drops of an essential oil of an herb that you did not use
- You may consecrate the smudge sticks before using them
- Burn smudge sticks for roughly 30 seconds to a minute in order to keep them smoldering.
BTW, It is also possible to smudge with substances other than herbs. For instance, you may smolder chips of bark as you would an incense stick
- bay leaf tree bark: purification, psychic dreams, to expel negativity
CONTENT RELATED TO MAKING SMUDGE STICKS
https://www.aboutholistic.co.za/smudging.html (accessed 8th September, 2013)