Edema is the medical term for swelling. It occurs when the small blood vessels leak and allow the neighboring tissue to swell. Edema is most likely among pregnant women and people who suffer from diabetes and or problems related to the kidneys, heart, liver or blood vessels. Other related causes include a diet that is high in salt and carbohydrates.
However, if you are doing the Master Cleanse and fail to follow the sea salt water flush instructions precisely, you may also experience edema. Read more about kidney-related 'no flush' experiences. For instance, this may occur if, midway through the Master Cleanse salt water flush, you consume foods and liquids within the 8-hour fast that should usually precede the intake of the salt water flush (at an inappropriate concentration), you may experience edema in the ankles and feet. Furthermore, the eliminations do not occur at all or as they should because the body has absorbed the sea salt water flush (which should not occur).
Fortunately, some people have successfully treated edema by using the following remedies.
- Elevate feet above the level of the kidneys and gently massage the feet upwards. You may use oils like ginger oil.
- Soak the feet in a warm 15 to 20 minute Epsom salts bath. This works very quickly. Consider magnesium rich foods like avocado, soybean and dark chocolate. However, consult your health care professional before trying to signifiantly raise your magnesium levels.
- Consume molasses
- Consume flaxseeds (either grounded flaxseeds) or chew whole flaxseeds very well
- Consume natural diuretics. They lessen the sodium level in the body. Here are some examples.
Ginger. Example: chew raw ginger or drink ginger tea.
Dandelion. Example: steep fresh or dried leaves in a tea, use dandelion tinctures or supplements
- Keep active. For instance, exercise gently (like swimming) and avoid sitting without movement for extended periods. If you are forced to remain sedentary for extended periods, use compression stockings.
- Avoid carbohydrates and sugar.
- Limit salt and caffeine. They actually contribute to swelling.
I experienced edema for the first time. When I treated it with molasses, flaxseeds, elevation and massage, I began to urinate and have bowel movements as normal for the Master Cleanse salt water flush roughly one hour afterwards. Additionally, my ankles became less swollen. However, the swelling did not all go away immediately after the initial relief. So I needed to continue with this edema treatment the following day.