Age spots are freckles that begin to appear as one ages and or with considerable exposure to the sun. They are spots that stand out from the rest of your skin because they are darker. They appear on any ethnic group, including black skin. Consequently, the easiest way of identifying them is through the fact that they 'suddenly' appear as you age and stand out from the background on any part of the body that is exposed to sunlight, the face, shoulders, hands, back and so on. This post explains a home remedy as a natural alternative to chemical skin bleaching treatments for removing these spots.
Essentially, age spots are an external sign of oxidation within your body. However, they may be related to impaired liver function or nutritional deficiencies.
To prepare onion juice for age spots, you will need the following
- Onion has antioxidant properties that neutralize free radicals
- apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar / ACV contains alpha-hydroxy acid, an ingredient that helps to remove the top layer of dead skin where many of the age spots are.
- juicing implements
- juicer - or -
- 1) blender or mortar & pestle and 2) strainer or cheesecloth - or -
- chopping knife, bowl and eating fork
- cotton wool or dropper for extraction from the container and application to your skin
- airtight container for storage
- refrigeration for storage
Preparing onion juice for age spots
- Blend and strain the onion and vinegar. Alternatively, process the onion in a juicer. If you have neither a blender nor juicer, chop up the onion as finely as possible and then use a fork to mash it with the apple cider vinegar. Allow the mixture to soak for a few hours before mashing again and straining.
- Apply the juice with cotton wool. If you are applying this over your face, remember to include your neck and chess
- Allow to remain on your skin for at least 30 minutes. There is no harm leaving it on overnight or all day for instance. However, onion juice has a strong smell of sulphur which may make it less than desirable. Having said this, I notice that, although I agonize over the smell, others can not detect it. I hazard a guess that others might detect the smell if you are in a hot, humid environment.
- You may store the remainder in an airtight container for up to roughly 3 days
- This apparently works within varying time periods. I have seen reports of people seeing results after 4 to 6 weeks of using this remedy every day.
- Consider detoxing your liver. A truly naturopathic approach should not end at only tackling the problem at the superficial level of the skin but at the possible root cause, the liver. Consider liver enemas and other natural liver detox remedies.